Sunday, July 29, 2012

Hope Pass - LT100 Training Run

I took this run at a moderate pace.  I wanted to keep my heart rate low.  I tend to push it and then I lose it later.  That's fine for a 50k but I know it will blow my race for Leadville.  I finished the run feeling pretty good.  I consider the day a success.  It gave me an idea of what is in store and I ran at near race pace.  On race day I will give myself 6.5 hours to do this 20 mile section.  My goal is to finish.  I can only blow my race here.

I'll make it short and sweet.  This thing sucks!  Going up from Twin Lakes the climb is fairly tame with only a couple steep parts before you get to the final push.  There is about 3,500 feet of climb over 5 miles.  Going down towards Winfield is kind of a mess.  The trail is steep in many parts.  Focus is the key when running down this on race day.  You will be tired.

There was a trail to Winfield before you hit the road.  It looked fairly new.  I took it.  I'm not sure if it is going to be the route or if they will stick with the traditional route on the road.  Regardless, I prefer the single track so I ran it instead of the road.

On the way back from Winfield the run down to the climb is nice but as soon as you turn up that bastard hill it is steep and relentless.  It isn't until you get above tree line that it actually gets easier.  2,500 vertical feet in less than 2.5 miles.  Brutal.  As soon as you crest the Pass the relief is instant.  Take a second and listen closely.  You hear that?  It's the sound of your balls growing(sorry mom).  Now just 45 easy miles back to Leadville.  Yikes!

Let's go to the film.  Sorry, there aren't many pics of the Winfield side of the Pass.  What I did photograph wasn't too steep.  The steep stuff is narrow, a bit muddy and eroded from a horse.  It will be interesting with people going in both directions.

Here is my Garmin data.  Check out the splits screen to get an idea for the climbing.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/204507379

Hope Pass from Twin Lakes.

River crossing.  Thigh high through first part.  

Last flat section for a while.  First 1.5 miles pretty flat.

Rocky moderate climb to start off.

More of the same.  First .5+ miles of the climb looks like this.

Smooths out.

1/4 mile flat.

mild climb.

House remains from a runner from the '94 race.  He gave up and built a home.   He's the guy with the axe that hides in the bushes.

Getting closer to tree line.

Not too steep but definitely climbing.

Trail goes up towards the V on the left.  Switch backs shortly after Hopeless Aid Station.

Your past, present and future.  Think about that for a minute.  Twin Lakes down on the right.  You can see Turquoise from here too.  Leadville is a dog leg E from there.

Towards Winfield.  Missouri Mt straight ahead with Oxford and Belmont to the left.  All 14ers.

You can't see them but there are some switchbacks heading down.  Once you hit the trees it gets stupid.

Rocks

trail to Winfield.  Course?

ditto

This trail climbs about 500 feet in 2 miles.  It isn't bad but it falls under the category of "Are you F'ing kidding me"

Winfield down there from trail.

Winfield

Back to Hope Pass.

Smooth sailing down to the climb.

It's steep.

And rocky.

And time goes by slow.  Feel free to use all the curse words you ever learned.

But eventually you top out and roll back to Twin Lakes.  TL about 1 mile from here.

1 comment:

  1. Your balls will be so big you will be able to roll all the way to the finish, LEADVILLE!!!

    ReplyDelete